Wednesday, September 30, 2015

September Summer Days

We had a very warm September this year... 
with lots of days being just too hot for me.
 Mill Valley's "natural air conditioning", ie fog was not happening.
My calendar pages feature quite a few hot suns that are showing the heat. 



Construction continues at The Redwoods. 
There are new "pours" and a huge crane 
put some kitchen equipment into place this month.



We all eagerly await the completion of the kitchen so folks can move out eating in the auditorium back into the new dining room.  
These "temporary" trailers, out of which our heroic staff has been cooking, 
will have been in our front lot for 2 years come November!


The new chairs wait patiently in their boxes for this great event.


We celebrated Kate's birthday in Tiburon. 
Five Merriman women together 
created a fun and celebratory event. 
Jan came up from Southern CA to be part of the lunch bunch..


Elizabeth, Jan, Porter, Elsabet and the birthday girl, Kate.

Our watercolor journal group met at Falkirk in San Rafael on two Tuesdays. 
As you can see, I revisited similar subjects 
trying to make sense of challenging architecture to draw. 




I also am taking some online art classes from Craftsy.com. 
They have been on sale so the price is right to play around with new techniques. This one was taught by Steve Reddy. 
You put in the shadows with light, medium and dark washes of India Ink. 
Then, last of all, you add color. 
It was an interesting way to create values. 
One has to really "look" to see the darks and lights.


Ready for the watercolor.


My set up for this class.


My finished page with my chop and punches of bright color.
The chop says, "Elizabeth's Art". At least, I think so?

Speaking of color, I could not resist taking photos of this 
wonderful box of yarn for needlepoint. 
I can just imagine dipping my brushing into these hues!


I was so happy to see my dear Jacksonville friend, Shirley Blaul and Iggy, too.
We spent hours chatting and catching up with one another. 
This Valentine Rose painting was one I did when 
we spent a week together in her unit at Sun River. 
I have so many happy memories of our times there together.



The extreme heat has broken and for that I am very grateful. 
Bring on Fall, the wonderful light and the autumn colors! 
I am ready.










No comments: