Saturday, November 29, 2014

A "Non Traditional" Thanksgiving with Kate

This Thanksgiving was so much fun and very different. Instead of focusing on the holiday meal, my daughter Kate and I had two days of fun doing things we love.

There was very little cooking, preparing, buying, stuffing, cleaning... all those things that one needs to do to serve a big holiday meal. Was there was a lot of was enjoying our beautiful area, hiking, sketching, looking, visiting, learning and generally relaxing.

Thursday, we took a hike from Slide Ranch to the Muir Beach overlook. The day was clear and the views were breathtaking. When we reached the overlook, we got out our sketch books and spent time sketching the scene. After hiking back down the hill, we then drove to Muir Beach. Then home for a simple and delicious herbivore meal in my "nest" at The Redwoods.  Both of us were pleasantly tired and went to bed early with a good book. This is my definition of a perfect day.



The beginning of our hike.


The rocks below the overlook.




Busy doing my page.


What I was capturing.



My sketchbook page.


Kate shows me how to take a selfie, my first!
We are at Muir Beach.

............................................................................................................................

On Friday, Kate and I went to the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park.
She had been there the week before with a naturalist, John Muir Laws. They had done sketches of the Skull Exhibit. This is a magical place. We started in the tropical rain forest exhibit and then went on to do some sketching of the skulls. Here are some photos from Friday.


Kate sketches the Mac Caws


My favorite part, I have a special fondness for butterflies.




The skull exhibit was amazing.


Here we are on the roof top, it has 7 hills just like San Francisco.








No comments: